1. Except as provided in this article, “seniority” means an employee’s aggregate length of service with the employer as determined in accordance with the provisions of the Previous Collective Agreement.
2. Porting Seniority
a. Effective September 1, 2006 and despite Article C.2.1 above, an employee who achieves continuing contract status in another school district shall be credited with up to ten (10) years of seniority accumulated in other school districts in BC.
b. Seniority Verification Process
i. The new school district shall provide the employee with the necessary verification form at the time the employee achieves continuing contract status.
ii. The employee must initiate the seniority verification process and forward the necessary verification forms to the previous school district(s) within ninety (90) days of receiving a continuing appointment in the new school district.
iii. The previous school district(s) shall make every reasonable effort to retrieve and verify the seniority credits which the employee seeks to port.
3. Teacher Teaching on Call
a. A teacher teaching on call shall accumulate seniority for days of service which are paid pursuant to Article B.2.6.b.
b. For the purpose of calculating seniority credit:
i. Service as a teacher teaching on call shall be credited:
Page 25 of 93
1. one half (1/2) day for up to one half (1/2) day worked;
2. one (1) day for greater than one half (1/2) day worked up to one (1) day worked.
ii. Nineteen (19) days worked shall be equivalent to one (1) month;
iii. One hundred and eighty-nine (189) days shall be equivalent to one (1) year.
c. Seniority accumulated pursuant to Article C.2.3.a and C.2.3.b, shall be included as aggregate service with the employer when a determination is made in accordance with Article C.2.1.
4. An employee on a temporary or term contract shall accumulate seniority for all days of service on a temporary or term contract.
5. No employee shall accumulate more than one (1) year of seniority credit in any school year.
6. Any provision in the Previous Collective Agreement which provides a superior accumulation and/or application of seniority than that which is provided pursuant to this article, shall remain part of the Collective Agreement
Note: The provisions of this Article supersede and replace all previous provisions which are inferior to this article.