1. Long-term leave of absence shall be defined as leave of five (5) school months or more.
2. The commencement and termination of a long-term leave of absence shall be determined by the Superintendent in consultation with the teacher concerned.
3. Any long-term leave of absence granted pursuant to Article G.22 of this Agreement shall be with or without pay at the discretion of the Board.
4. Long-term leave of absence may be granted for professional reasons, which include:
a. attendance at a university;
b. Department of National Defense posting;
c. service with a post secondary institution;
d. secondment to the Ministry of Education.
5. The following conditions apply to the applications for and the granting of long-term leaves of absence:
a. The teacher has given at least five (5) years service to the Board or, in the event that a teacher has been granted long-term leave of absence, five (5) years of service has elapsed since the completion of the long-term leave that had been granted.
b. The number of persons given long-term leave of absence in any one (1) school year shall be at the discretion of the Board. However, normally no more than ten percent (10%) of the teaching staff may be given long-term leave of absence in any one (1) school year.
c. After the expiration of the period of leave of absence, the teacher granted long-term leave of absence shall be placed in an appropriate assignment, subject to Article E.13.3 of this Agreement.
d. Applications for long-term leave of absence which are requested for the commencement of a school year shall be submitted before March 15th of that year.
e. A teacher intending to return from long-term leave shall notify the Board no later than March 15th of that year of the intention to return from leave of absence.
f. Teachers requesting long-term leaves of absence scheduled to commence at a time other than the beginning of the school year shall notify the Board of such a request at least five (5) months prior to the intended commencement of the leave.
g. The deadline for a teacher to notify the Board of the teacher's intention to return from a leave at a time other than the beginning of a school year shall be at least five (5) months prior to the intended return of the teacher from the leave of absence.
h. Proposed long-term leaves of absence extending into a second school year, shall be submitted to the Superintendent who shall present the request to the Board for its consideration.